While 2016 in general may or not be your favorite year, it was a fantastic year for new releases. Publishers hit season-highs with big-hitters like “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” while entertainment personalities like Megyn Kelly crushed the fall charts with hits like “Settle for More“.
Late last week Amazon shared the retailer’s best-selling books of 2016, as well as the best-selling Kids & Teens books of 2016. The company even compiled data for the Most Gifted and Most Wished For books of the year, which you can use to make your gifting a little easier. We love these lists, not just for ideas on which books would make perfect gifts, but as recommendations for when we are looking for a new title ofr ourselves.
According to Amazon, the best-selling book of the year is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script by J.K. Rowling. With the success of the play, and the hit film “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” roaring into theaters this year, Harry Potter-mania was in full-swing across the globe. That chart-topper was followed by “When Breath Becomes Air” by Paul Kalanithi.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” is also the best-selling book in the Kids & Teens category, and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid # 11: Double Down” by Jeff Kinney is on the chart at number two. Rowling’s bestseller also tops the lists for both the Most Gifted and Most Wished For book of the year, confirming that Harry Potter continues to be a favorite for readers across genres.
The best-selling book lists are first editions published in 2016 comprising both print and Kindle purchases. To see the full top 100 list of Amazon’s best-selling print and Kindle books of 2016, visit amazon.com/bestsellingbooks2016.
“This year’s best-selling list showcases the variety of Amazon readers’ tastes, from literary fiction to thrillers to memoirs,” said Chris Schluep, Amazon Senior Book Editor. “The power of Potter is still strong, and readers of all ages can’t get enough of Hogwarts. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was the most anticipated book of the year, breaking pre-order records months before its release.”
The top 20 best-selling books of 2016 overall are:
1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany
2. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
3. The Whistler by John Grisham
4. The Last Mile (Amos Decker series) by David Baldacci
5. Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard
6. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
7. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
8. Night School: A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child
9. The Black Widow: Book 16 of Gabriel Allon Series by Daniel Silva
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid # 11: Double Down by Jeff Kinney
11. 15th Affair (Women’s Murder Club) by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
12. Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
13. Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
14. Crisis of Character: A White House Secret Service Officer Discloses His Firsthand Experience with Hillary, Bill, and How They Operate by Gary J. Byrne
15. The Wrong Side of Goodbye: A Harry Bosch Novel by Michael Connelly
16. The Magnolia Story by Chip Gaines and Joanna Gaines
17. The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney
18. One with You: Book 5 of A Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day
19. The Obsession by Nora Roberts
20. Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale
The company also pointed out that number one best-selling book is the same in both the overall and kids categories, proving that we are all young-at-heart when it comes to books. It’s also interesting to point out that “The Nest” by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney, is the best-selling debut novel of 2016.
Of course Mysteries and thrillers were still the best titles in 2016; nine of the of the top 20 are from that category (ten, if you count romantic suspense).
To learn more about the best-selling books of the year, visit amazon.com/bestsellingbooks2016.