Best Books 2016: Find the perfect book in no time at all
Gift-giving season is finally here and the Amazon editors have released their list of “Best Books of 2016,” putting Colson Whitehead’s “The Underground Railroad” at the top of the list. The annual list always makes for a perfect jumping-off point if you are shopping around for a new title, or if you need a few suggestions when looking for a new book to give a special-someone or co-worker.
The Amazon book editors revealed the 100 best books of the year earlier this month, selecting titles in over two-dozen categories from Literary Fiction and Mystery to Children’s & Young Adult. All of the lists are hand-selected by Amazon’s team of editors who read hundreds of thousands of pages throughout the year—choosing the best books of every month and then, finally, the best books of the year.
“The editorial team had a handful of books that we seriously considered for the top pick but in the end our choice of The Underground Railroad was unanimous,” said Chris Schluep, Amazon Senior Book Editor. “Colson Whitehead’s novel is timely, important, and a great work of literature.”
This year’s Top 20 included three debut authors, and there were 6 science-related books in the top-100 overall. Obviously we don’t want to unload all 100 terrific choices on you, but we will give you the top-ten to start, as detailed by the editors over at Amazon.
- A brilliant, wise, fantastical yet grounded portrayal of a young slave seeking her freedom on a real underground railroad.
- Part literary thriller, part western, this is a debut novel about a young tomboy trying to survive a post-apocalyptic wilderness as she searches for her parents.
- A very personal tour of a segment of our culture that’s losing its way in modern America.
- A big, smart novel about so many things: family, politics, revolution and the things we choose to remember (and forget).
- Affinity Konar’s beautiful novel about twin sisters who survive Auschwitz is precisely crafted, acutely sensitive and ultimately uplifting and hopeful.
- An inspiring and entertaining memoir about work, life and love from a plant scientist who is just as adept at analyzing the natural world as she is at illuminating human relationships.
- A poetic, breathtaking novel about growing up female and black in the 1970s—a time of conflicting pressures and sometimes crushing assumptions.
- An unforgettable nonfiction account of men changed by war, told in a voice that is both straight forward and undeniably literary.
- From the award-winning creator of Fargo, a thrilling page-turner about an airplane crash and its seemingly heroic survivors.
- A masterful novel that tackles big issues—race, class and the ups and downs of long term friendship—told with a dancer’s grace and ease.
To see the full list of the Best Books of 2016 and buy the print or Kindle editions, visit: amazon.com/bestbooks2016. We will update more Black Friday all day and night for Black Friday through Cyber Monday. You can find the current list of Black Friday announcements on our site at theslanted.com/blackfriday or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.