Amazon Prime Day recap, over 34M products sold
With the party officially over, Amazon announced it sold more units on Prime Day than the biggest Black Friday ever and had more new members try Prime worldwide than any single day in Amazon history.
Customers ordered 34.4 million items across Prime-eligible countries, breaking all Black Friday records with 398 items ordered per second. According to the company, customers ordered hundreds of thousands of Amazon devices – making it the largest device sales day ever worldwide.
“Thank you to the hundreds of thousands of new members who signed up on Prime Day, and our tens of millions of existing members for making our first ever Prime Day a huge success,” said Greg Greeley, Vice President, Amazon Prime. “Customers worldwide ordered an astonishing 398 items per second and saved millions on Prime Day deals. Worldwide order growth increased 266% over the same day last year and 18% more than Black Friday 2014 – all in an event exclusively available to Prime members. Going into this, we weren’t sure whether Prime Day would be a one-time thing or if it would become an annual event. After yesterday’s results, we’ll definitely be doing this again.”
Prime Day highlights from the US:
- Members ordered tens of thousands of Fire TV Sticks in one hour, making it the fastest-selling deal on an Amazon device ever
- Fire tablet sales on Amazon exceeded sales on Black Friday last year
- embers ordered thousands of e-readers and thousands of Echos in just 15 minutes
- 56,000 Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy sets
- 47,000 Televisions sold, which was 1300% year-over-year growth
- 51,000 Bose Headphones, compared to 8 the previous Wednesday
- 28,000 Rubbermaid 42-Piece Easy Find Lid Food Storage Sets, compared to 428 the previous Wednesday
- 24,000 Instant Pot 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cookers, compared to 182 the previous Wednesday
- 14,000 iRobot Roomba 595 Pet Vacuum Cleaning Robots, compared to 1 the previous Wednesday
- 12,000 Fifty Shades of Grey Unrated Edition on Blu-ray, compared to 121 the previous Wednesday
- 10,000 Meguiar’s X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels, compared to 244 the previous Wednesday
- Prime Day was also the biggest day for sales internationally. Customers ordered hundreds of thousands of Fire TV Sticks, making it the best-selling Prime Day product globally.
Amazon Prime is an annual membership program for $99 a year that offers customers unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on more than 20 million items across all categories. More details on how to start a free trial of Amazon Prime at amazon.com/prime.