Spotify had a wide-array of announcements today regarding future updates for its growing list of users, including the addition to new playlist features, videos and podcasts. The company will be releasing a new mobile-update later today, offering a new “The Now” start page. The new page will offer custom music-lists built around the time of day and the user’s unique listening habits. Customers will be able to choose from in-house experts, or use their own personal collection to build playlists on the fly based on the time or the user’s mood.
Spotify Running will offer runners unique playlists to enhance their workout experiences. In today’s announcement the company stated, “We’ve combined the best music on the planet – recommendations based on your listening history, multiple-genre playlists and original running compositions written by some of the world’s foremost DJs and composers – all tuned to your tempo and seamlessly transitioned to ensure you’ll never miss a beat.” The company added, “Start running and Spotify will detect your tempo, matching the perfect music in time to your step – making you a harder, better, faster, stronger runner.”
Spotify video will be entirely new to the service, offering clips and audio shows to the popular application. Spotify will suggest video and audio shows for users to catch-up on news, entertainment-clips and other videos from around the world.
As for Spotify Originals, that service will include original content from the company. Running Originals, for example, will be music “specifically designed for running that dynamically adapts to your running tempo.”
A total of six original tracks, all found within Spotify Running, are available at launch. Other original content includes Dance Move of the Day produced by Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls brand, to specially curated radio shows presented by artists including Icona Pop, Jungle and Tyler the Creator,” according to the company.
Spotify now comes packed with entertainment, news and clips from the likes of ABC, BBC, Comedy Central, Condé Nast Entertainment, ESPN, Fusion, Maker Studios, NBC, TED and Vice Media.
“We’re bringing you a deeper, richer, more immersive Spotify experience,” says Daniel Ek, Founder and CEO at Spotify. “We want Spotify to help soundtrack your life by offering an even wider world of entertainment with an awesome mix of the best music, podcasts and video delivered to you throughout your day. And we’re just getting started.”
The new Now experience will begin rolling out today to iPhone users in the US, UK, Germany and Sweden – with more markets and platforms to follow in the near future. Spotify Running will start rolling out to iPhone users globally
Spotify Originals – initial list of shows:
- Presenting (audio): Artist-presented radio shows from the likes of Icona Pop, Tyler the Creator and the Odd Future crew, Jungle, Mike Skinner and Murkage present Tonga, Popjustice, Big Narstie and Rixton, with more big names to follow.
- A Full English (video): A conversation between artists and personalities, widely separated by experience, who try to find common ground over a meal – a proper breakfast in this case.
- Incoming (audio): A weekly audio show hosted by Joe Levy and guests, taking you through the best new music around.
- Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls, Dance Move of the Day (video): A fun way for the adventurous to get their dance party started.
- Guest List (video): Ever wondered what your fave music star sings in the shower? Or what they want played at their funeral? Tune in to find out.
- Turntable (video): Bringing chefs and musicians together for an intimate performance and meal.
- These shows, with more to be added soon, complement our current original content roster which includes:
- The Drop (video): Artists tell the story of how their new album came to life.
- Spotify Sessions (audio and video): Intimate performances from the hottest new artists to living legends.
- Landmark (audio and video): An aural history of some of the greatest records ever released, told by the legends who helped create them.
More information on updates and shows will be announced at a later date.