Culture

Sarah Hyland files restraining order against ex-boyfriend for abuse

Earlier this week ‘Modern Family’ star Sarah Hyland filed the paperwork to be granted a restraining order, against her now ex-boyfriend, on grounds of alleged abuse. The boyfriend, Matthew Prokop, is being accused of verbal and physical abuse that dates back for years. Some of the abuse claimed in the filing includes included choking, threatening suicide and verbal abuse.

According to the court’s documents, Hyland alleged Prokop, “habitually verbally abused me, called me vile names and degraded me in public. … Over that time, he also repeatedly exhibited significant anger management issues which included things like throwing objects in my direction in anger, pushing me, punching walls and slamming doors.”

Helping Hyland through this is fellow ‘Modern Family’ star Julie Bowen, she and others on set eventually intervene to put a stop to the relationship, it was at this time that Prokop apparently “ran outside into the backyard and began screaming,” according to the restraining order filed Sept. 19 in Los Angeles Superior Court earlier this week.

“His grip was so tight that I could not breathe or speak,” the actress said in the restraining order, just one of the many accounts told in the paperwork. “I was scared and in fear for my life. I struggled to get free and continued gasping for breath, but he would not let go.”

Prokop had once guest starred on “Modern Family” in Season 3, he moved into a rehab facility in August of 2014 from the home the two shared. Hyland obtained the restraining order, with the help of the very doctor who treated Prokop at the facility. Prokop left treatment on Sunday of this week.

Tags : ABC