At a press-event held earlier today, LG Electronics officially unveiled the LG G3 smartphone, the successor to the successful LG G2. The new device will launch worldwide this year, with events planned in London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Singapore and Istanbul.
LG confirmed that the LG G3 will arrive in U.S. later this summer with T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile specialty stores nationwide. “The smartest innovation in a fast evolving smartphone market is creating harmony between advanced technology and a simplified user experience,” said Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “The LG G3 is the result of our effort to actualize that idea into a tangible product. And we are extremely pleased with the result.”
The LG G3 will feature a 5.5-inch Quad HD display with 538ppi (four times the resolution of HD and almost two times higher resolution than a Full HD display). The new 13MP OIS+ (Optical Image Stabilizer Plus) camera offers customers a Laser Auto Focus, capable of shooting images, “in a fraction of the time required by conventional phone cameras,” according to the company.
A fingerprint-resistant brushed metallic black plate and Floating Arc form, Rear Key, a redesigned graphic user interface (GUI) all are inline with the company’s new ideal, “Simple is the New Smart”.
The Quad HD display was 76.4 percent nscreen-ratio, with thin bezels all around so the phone. As for battery life, the G3 comes with a gigantic 3,000mAh removable battery and advanced optimization technologies to further maximize battery efficiency. “By replacing the metal in the battery cathode with graphite, LG engineers were able to extend the lifespan of the LG G3’s battery.” This according to the company’s statements released today.
Back to the 13MP OIS+ camera, the company explained the new hardware and software combination to help capture your best moments by stating:
LG also simplified the process of actually capturing those special moments. Rather than having to focus on the subject in preview mode and then pressing the shutter button, with the LG G3, tapping the subject to focus will simultaneously also trigger the shutter. What’s more, the LG G3’s 2.1MP front camera incorporates several new enhancements such as a larger image sensor and larger aperture for more light throughput and better-looking selfies. A unique twist has been added to the standard timed selfie mode by incorporating gesture controls — when ready to shoot, simply clench your hand into a fist and the LG G3 will recognize the gesture and begin the automatic three-second countdown. It couldn’t get any simpler than that.
For video, the LG G3 offers superior sound quality with instinctive microphones that measure the environment to identify the optimal audio level for the clearest recording. And with the built-in 1W speaker with Boost AMP, users can enjoy videos and music accompanied by richer sounds and clearer tones.
Highlights announced today from LG: (as described by LG)
- Smart Keyboard: Adaptive technology learns as you type for faster input with fewer mistakes. Smart Keyboard reduces input errors by tracking and analyzing typing habits and intuitively “knowing” what word the user intended to type. The height of the keyboard can also be adjusted to better fit the user’s hands and position of the thumbs. Individual keys can also be customized with frequently used symbols for even faster input.
- Smart Notice: Like a personal assistant, Smart Notice provides suggestions and recommendations based on user behavior, phone usage patterns and location to offer user information when it’s needed the most. Smart Notice can remind you of a call you declined earlier and ask if you would like to call that person back. If you have a large number of unused files or apps on the LG G3 taking up valuable space, Smart Notice will ask if you would like to delete or uninstall them. But what sets Smart Notice apart from other personal assistants is its natural language capabilities. For example, instead of just displaying today’s temperature and weather forecast, Smart Notice will make a recommendation such as, “You may want to take an umbrella today since it will rain this evening.”
- Smart Security: Understanding the importance of maintaining and securing confidential data when smartphones are shared, misplaced, lost or stolen, the LG G3 offers a number of enhanced security features such as:
- Knock Code enables users to unlock their device with a pattern of taps. Merging security and convenience, users can create a personalized code that can be entered anywhere on the screen. With the LG G3, users have the option of being able to use KnockON to wake the screen to check the time or enter the home screen directly via Knock CodeTM.
- Content Lock keeps personal files safe and hidden from view when sharing the LG G3 with friends. When the LG G3 is connected to a PC, Content Lock prevents file previews so the data is still safe. The locked files can reside either on the LG G3’s internal memory or on the microSD card.
- Kill Switch gives LG G3 owners the ability to disable their phones remotely in the event of theft. The Kill Switch also allows content on the LG G3 to be wiped so personal information won’t be compromised. Kill Switch also includes antivirus scanning and remote wipe and lock, among other essential features.
- LG will also be offering a collection of new premium accessories to accompany the LG G3:
- QuickCircle Case: Available in five colors, QuickCircle Case allows easy access to frequently used functions such as calling, text messaging, music and camera all from the QuickCircle window without opening the cover. In addition to the QuickCircle Case, LG will offer a lineup of Slim Guard Cases and premium Slim Hard Cases to protect the LG G3 in style.
- LG Tone Infinim (HBS-900): Developed in collaboration with Harman/Kardon, the Bluetooth stereo headset delivers premium audio quality sound in a stylish design. Built with retractable wire management technology and jog buttons for easy search, Tone Infinim also features Name AlertTM to verbally notify you who is calling before you answer.
- Wireless Charger: Compact and foldable, LG’s Wireless Charger is optimized for easy portability. Compatible with Qi’s wireless power charging technology, the Wireless Charger from LG makes staying powered up as convenient as possible.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 801 (up to 2.5GHz Quad-Core)
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)
- Memory: 16/32GB eMMC ROM / 2/3GB DDR3 RAM / microSD slot (128GB max)
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS+ and Laser Auto Focus / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Size: 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9mm
- Weight: 149g
- Network: 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps (3G)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth Smart Ready (Apt-X), NFC, SlimPort, A-GPS/Glonass, USB 2.0
- Color: Metallic Black, Silk White, Shine Gold, Moon Violet, Burgundy Red
- Other: Smart Keyboard, Smart Notice, Knock CodeTM , Guest Mode, etc.
The LG G3 will begin rolling out worldwide (starting on May 28 in South Korea) on more than 170 carriers. Additional details will be announced locally at the time of availability.