Amazon lists the top 100 books to read in a lifetime
For avid readers even a lifetime isn’t long enough to read all of the terrific works created over the years. It can be very difficult to recommend the top 10 books of all time, but Amazon has gone ahead and listed the top 100 books that everyone should read in their lifetime.
The new editorially-curated list of essential books was announced earlier today. This list was hand-selected by the Amazon Books editorial team.
“With 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime, we set out to build a roadmap of a literary life without making it feel like a homework assignment,” said Sara Nelson, Editorial Director of Print and Kindle Books at Amazon.com. “Over many months, the team passionately debated and defended the books we wanted on this list. In other words, we applied plenty of the bookish equivalent of elbow-grease, and we can’t wait to hear what customers have to say about our final picks.”
The list of 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime encompasses a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction, including children’s, teen, and young adult. It is intended to span decades. “We listed the books alphabetically by title,” said Nelson, “because our assumption is that no book is more important than another.” The Amazon Books editorial team will audit the list regularly to make sure it stays culturally relevant.
Some fun facts about the 100 Books:
- Oldest book on the list: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)
- Most recently published book on the list: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (2013)
- Book on the list that inspired the most internal debate: 1984 by George Orwell
- A few books that were unanimous across the team: Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Charlotte’s Wevb by E.B. White, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Portnoy’s Complaint by Philip Roth, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- Books on the list that were our #1 Amazon Best Books of the Year: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- The book each editor most wished had made the list (but didn’t): Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner (Jon Foro); Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn (Mari Malcolm); The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Robin Rothman); Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (Neal Thompson); Moby Dick by Herman Melville (Chris Schluep); Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (Sara Nelson); Where I’m Calling From by Raymond Carver (Kevin Nguyen); Wonder by R.J. Palacio (Seira Wilson)
The Amazon Books editorial team is the team that brings you Best Books of the Month and the blog Omnivoracious. To see a complete list of the 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime, you can checkout the list below.