On television and in movies almost everyone has lavish New Year’s plans. Whether it is a formal company event or a raging party friends, the non-fiction events dwarf the typical American household as it rings-in the New Year; this according to a recent survey from Hasbro.
This is the second year in a row that the popular game-maker found that the majority of Americans will celebrate at home instead of out on the town. According to the results 79% of women and 76% of men will be at home. That’s up from 70% last year.
Hasbro has a few suggestions to ensure a New Year’s party is an entertaining one, Hasbro worked with entertaining expert Julie Edelman, “The Accidental Housewife,” to come up with some helpful advice for New Year’s revelers. “The most important part of New Year’s Eve is appreciating the people you’re with and celebrating the holidays with friends and loved ones in a lighthearted and special way,” said Edelman. “It’s not about being somewhere fancy but rather it’s about the quality time shared as we say goodbye to one year and welcome in the next. A night at home spent laughing and having fun over games is the perfect way to connect and do just that.” Edelman’s tips for a memorable and seamless game night include:
- SERVE FUN FINGER FOODS that are easy to eat with one-hand so you can put on an oversized green foam finger and play the hilarious new POINTING FINGERS game with your family & friends.
- PARTY & PLAY AT ONCE! Get the party started instantly with CATCH PHRASE, the pass-it, shout-it, guess-it game you can hold in one hand while keeping your drink/food in the other!!
- MAKE NEW FRIENDS. With the new ‘ask a friend’ feature in the TRIVIAL PURSUIT PARTY game, you can ask others to help out with your questions. It’s a great way to break the ice with new friends at the party!
- CREATE A MENU OF FUN YUMS. Come up with fun, games-themed names for the food and drinks at the party, like a “Scattergories Sandwich Sampler” or a “Taboo Twist.”
- ADD IN SOME HOLIDAY-THEMED RULES. For every round won, a team can share favorite memories from 2013, or for every TABOO buzz, players can share a New Year’s resolution they’ll be making.
- SNAP ‘N SHARE THE FUN. Set up some silly hats or homemade trophies for the victors and be sure guests capture photos of themselves celebrating their wins. Share the pictures on social channels or send them around to your guests the day after the party to relive the fun of New Year’s.
As a note from the editor, don’t forget that AAA always offers free transportation (even if you aren’t a member) should you find yourself unable to drive home from too much celebration. Never drive home if you’ve been drinking, and keep the AAA number in your phone as a free back-up plan just in case.
The service begins on 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 31 and lasts until 6 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan . That’s when AAA will tow you and your car home (seven mile radius) if you call 1-800-400-4AAA and tell the operator, “I need a Tipsy Tow.”