Livescribe SmartPen will turn your handwritten notes, charts and diagrams digital
One new holiday gift just popped up, it’s from Livescribe Inc. and they have just released the Livescribe 3 smartpen, “the fastest way to make handwritten notes useful on a tablet or smartphone,” according to the company. Customers simply twist a ring on the smartpen to begin writing and watch their words and diagrams appear in the companion Livescribe+ mobile app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. This latest addition to Livescribe’s line of award-winning smartens is designed as a premium writing instrument with, “the look and feel of a quality ballpoint pen combined with the intelligence of a mobile device.”
The Livescribe 3 smarten lets people (according to the developers):
- + Write on Livescribe dot paper and watch everything appear instantly on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices with Bluetooth Smart wireless technology.
- + Use the built-in microphones on a tablet or smartphone to create interactive “pen casts” that synchronize recorded audio with written notes.
- + Convert handwriting to text to create tasks, reminders, contacts and calendar events.
- + Add photos and text memos to notes to add context and clearly communicate details.
- + Share written notes, photographs and diagrams as PDF files over Mail, Messages, Evernote, Dropbox and other apps.
- + The Livescribe 3 smarten captures everything written on Livescribe paper as soon as it starts up, and then transfers that content to Livescribe+ when the app opens. This allows people to take notes with just a smartpen and notebook, and then do more with that information on their mobile device later.
“People shouldn’t have to choose between their pen and their digital devices. The Livescribe 3 smartpen sends everything they write on paper to their tablet or smartphone, where our mobile application makes this information useful in truly innovative ways,” said Gilles Bouchard, CEO of Livescribe. “It’s simply the most elegant and versatile pen we’ve ever made.”
The Livescribe 3 smartpen’s wireless connection allows for easy pairing and instant transfer of notes with very low battery drain, enabling the Livescribe 3 smartpen to capture information for 14 hours between charges. The Livescribe 3 includes a capacitive stylus cap to control the Livescribe+ app, and Swiss-made, premium ballpoint cartridges to use with any Livescribe paper notebooks. Livescribe 3 is compatible with iOS devices that are Bluetooth Smart Ready, including the iPhone 4S or later, third-generation or later iPad, iPad Mini, and the fifth-generation iPod touch or newer. The free Livescribe+ mobile app is available from the App Store for devices with iOS 7.
The Livescribe 3 smartpen is available in two versions. The Livescribe 3 smartpen, available for $149.95, includes a sleek black-and-chrome smartpen along with a 50-sheet Starter Notebook, as well as a micro USB charging cable and a black tungsten carbide medium-tip ink cartridge. Priced at $199.95, the Livescribe 3 smartpen Pro Edition includes a leather smartpen portfolio with a 100-sheet hardbound journal, a one-year subscription to Evernote Premium, the charging cable and an additional ink cartridge. The smartpens are available for sale on Livescribe.com, Amazon, Paradise Pen, Apple.com and select Apple stores across the United States. The Livescribe 3 smartpen will also be available in Canada, Europe, Asia and other international markets.
Pen and paper notes become more valuable when they are available on the digital devices people use daily, and Livescribe offers products for all scenarios. The new Livescribe 3 smarten connects to mobile devices with Bluetooth Smart wireless technology, while the Sky wifi smartpen uses wireless cloud syncing straight to Evernote, and the Echo smartpen connects via a USB connection to a Mac or PC, providing the perfect solution for any device.
more info: livescribe