Earlier today, WebMD Health Corp. (Nasdaq: WBMD), released a new version of its market-leading flagship app for the iPhone, including “personalized, engaging multimedia lifestyle content,” according to the company. The new WebMD app for iPhone offers on-demand, healthy-living information, in addition to physician-reviewed health content and interactive tools. The innovative design marries content and utility informed by more than five years of user insights and feedback. It is the latest milestone in WebMD’s commitment to create and deliver the most engaging health content based on the unique health needs and interests of each user. As one of the most used and highest-rated health and fitness apps in the Apple App Store, the WebMD app has over 17 million downloads.1
“WebMD has built on its trusted brand and content and is now the go-to source for personalized health experiences across a multi-screen platform,” said Bill Pence, WebMD Chief Technology Officer and Chief Operating Officer. “The new design of the WebMD app builds on the success we have had with personalizing experiences with our audience-based apps, such as WebMD Pregnancy and WebMD Baby, to provide consumers with an experience that is tailored uniquely to them.”
The app also builds on WebMD’s investment in healthy living that already includes expanded content on WebMD.com, in WebMD Magazine and in the WebMD Magazine app for iPad. WebMD app for iPhone now provides a wealth of healthy-living content, delivered in “snackable” quantities, and a broad range of wellness information, from recipes and dieting tips to advice on sex and relationships. WebMD meets the information-seeking habits of today’s consumers and their demand for information tailored to specific interests at the right time on the right screen — through our websites, mobile-optimized sites, and apps.
The features of the updated WebMD app for iPhone include: (according to company)
- + Customizable Content Based on Healthy-Living Interests and Goals: The update represents a completely new user interface, including a visually stimulating home screen and enhanced user experience. Individuals can select topics to populate tips, fun facts, articles, videos and quizzes relevant to their healthy-living goals. The robust, mobile-optimized content covers health and beauty, diet, parenting and children’s health, and sex and relationships.
- + Local Search for Health Providers: The search feature allows consumers to find the closest physicians, hospitals and pharmacies available by city, state or ZIP code. Users can also filter their search, like pharmacies open 24 hours/day, and can save frequented professionals/centers for ease-of-use.
- + Enhanced Health Information: WebMD app users can choose from and save information on over 26,000 conditions, drugs and first aid topics and rely on the app to help them make important and timely health and wellness decisions. In addition to an increased breadth of disease and treatment information, the medical term glossary provides a companion to help explain tests, procedures and conditions for consumers before, during and after doctor visits.
- + Patient Instructions: Patient Instructions is WebMD’s first step in building the foundation to connect patients and their healthcare providers. The new WebMD app will connect with the Patient Instructions feature in WebMD’s Medscape app for healthcare professionals. Medscape Patient Instructions allows physicians to securely send education and instructions on thousands of conditions, procedures and drugs to their patients. Patients can securely and conveniently read the instructions and information on the WebMD app for iPhone, as well as WebMD’s mobile web and desktop sites.
- + WebMD continues to lead in mHealth with the development of a biometric device marketplace to enable the purchase of third-party devices. The marketplace will be accessible from the flagship app. The devices and apps available from the marketplace will further WebMD’s commitment to enable users to get access to their data anywhere at any time.
WebMD app for iPhone is available for free from Apple’s App Store. Detailed information about the app is available below on iTunes.
more info: iTunes/webmd