Choose Your Own Adventure Classic Stories Turns to Kickstarter for iPad versions
The company Chooseco, is attempting to raise $130,000 in funding for Choose ‘Toons interactive cartoon apps. Today the R.A. Montgomery classic Choose Your Own Adventure series launches a Kickstarter to fund production of an interactive cartoon for the iPad. Montgomery and his team hope to raise $130,000 on the crowd-funding site. Starting at $6 for early backers, Montgomery’s publishing house Chooseco is reinventing the popular children’s books for the 21st century.
Choose ‘Toons brings to life the classic title Your Very Own Robot. “You” and your talking dog Homer build a wacky and mischievous robot named Gus. Choose ‘Toons follow the same concept as the original printed children’s books: “you” assume the role of hero of the story, choosing how to respond to different challenges, ultimately shaping your own outcome.
With more than 260 million books printed worldwide, Choose Your Own Adventure is one of the most successful children’s series of all time, and for the first time You can create eleven possible animated adventures of your choosing in one app.
Key facts (as sent in press-release):
- + Choose Your Own Adventure is the 4th best-selling children’s series of all time and 5th best-selling book series of all time with over 260 million books printed in more than 38 languages
- + The Choose ‘Toons pilot is based on Your Very Own Robot by R. A. Montgomery, a Choose Your Own Adventure® for readers ages 5-8 first published in 1982 and republished by Chooseco in 2007. It is Chooseco’s bestselling title for younger readers
- + The main characters are Gus the robot, “You,” and Homer the talking dog, borrowed from bestselling Choose Your Own Adventure story Haunted House
- + The app will be available on the iPad initially; If Chooseco surpasses their goal, they will deliver on Android next
- + Suitable for all ages, but geared towards younger children and those learning to read
- + English language, programmed with international audiences in mind
- + User has 20 branches to choose from, leading to eleven possible endings
- + Follows the same concept as that of the original printed children’s books. YOU are the hero of the story and make choices leading to multiple endings.