Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi to divorce following assault caution
Just weeks after the pictures of Charles Saatchi, with his hands around the neck of a very upset Nigella Lawson outside a cafe, hit the internet the couple are on track to be divorced.
The couple were married in 2003 but made headlines a few weeks ago when the pictures of Saatchi assaulting Lawson in public hit the internet. After the incident, the at collector Saatchi was issued an assault caution for his actions. Now it is Charles Saatchi that says he is divorcing his wife, the popular television chef Nigella Lawson.
The now infamous pictures showed moments where Saatchi had his hands around Lawson’s throat, sitting at a London restaurant last June. The 70 year-old Saatchi accepted the police caution for assault, but told the Mail on Sunday he had “clearly been a disappointment” to Lawson. He went on to say that the decision to divorce was “heartbreaking,” adding that the two had “become estranged and drifted apart” over the last year.
“I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced,” he told the paper. Saatchi stated, “I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.” Saatchi also said, “I am sorry that we had a row. I am sorry she was upset. I am even more sorry that this is the end of our marriage.”
Lawson has two children, Cosima and Bruno, which were from her marriage to journalist John Diamond, who past-away in 2001. Lawson is an accomplished columnist, writer and is best known for her television shows Nigella Bites and Nigella’s Christmas Kitchen.