Images of Nigella Lawson apparently being choked in public launch investigation
In what has to be the most unsettling picture-set of her career, Nigella Lawson and her husband were found at a local cafe with Lawson apparently being choked during an argument.
The terrible pictures show husband Charles Saatchi, who is a U.K.-based advertising giant, grabbing the TV chef by the throat in what appears to be a vicious argument. The images were published on Sunday in the U.K.’s Daily Mirror. Since their publication, British police have launched an investigation into the incident “to assess whether an investigation is necessary,” according to an ABC News reports. Saatchi is 70, and is photographed grabbing the 53-year-old Lawson’s neck at a restaurant named Scott’s in London. She later left the cafe in tears according to reports.
Saatchi said in a statement to The Evening Standard, saying: “About a week ago, we were sitting outside a restaurant having an intense debate about the children, and I held Nigella’s neck repeatedly while attempting to emphasize my point.”
He then continued: “There was no grip, it was a playful tiff. The pictures are horrific but give a far more drastic and violent impression of what took place. Nigella’s tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt. … We had made up by the time we were home. The paparazzi were congregated outside our house after the story broke yesterday morning, so I told Nigella to take the kids off till the dust settled.”
Lawson has not made a statement at this time.