One of the most bothersome annoyances of Shazam, a music recognition app for mobile devices, is launching the application in time to catch the song you are enjoying. Now it seems that the developers have found a way to solve that problem, with an “always on” approach to listening.
New features for the iPad include “Auto-Tagging”, exciting new discovery home screen, tag charts for any city, and improved experience. According to the company, the updated app also launches an “exclusive new Auto-Tagging feature that helps you continually recognize and engage with any media playing around you, including music, television programs, and TV advertisements — automatically”.
The new app design for iPad is sponsored by the Fiat Brand and Fox Broadcasting Company for the first three months after launch. For iPad, the redesigned Shazam App gives users new streams of activity, enabling them to see in real time and explore the songs people are listening to right now and, in the US, the TV shows people are currently watching.
Shazam is also bringing to its iPad experience for the first time two popular features lightning-fast tagging that enables recognition in as little as one second and full-screen LyricPlay lyrics, which plays the lyrics on-screen in time with the music. The new app adds a fascinating new interactive mapping feature enabling music fans to explore what people are listening to in any city around the world.
“We have seen amazing growth and expansion in both the number of people who use Shazam on iPad as well as their level of engagement,” said Rich Riley, Shazam CEO. “With more than 300 million Shazamers globally who use the app more than ten million times each day to discover more about the music and television they are interested in, we have created an exciting and engaging new iPad experience for existing and new users.”
When Shazam fans download the new app or update to this new version, they can experience great new features that encourage and enable discovery and exploration, some of which are also available in the experience for iPhone and iPod touch:
- · Auto-tagging, so that people never miss discovering new songs, experiencing more with TV shows and live TV events, and getting more info or special offers for TV ads they are interested in (available on iPad only);
- · An exciting new design featuring an innovative home screen that invites exploration to see what TV shows* and music people are currently tagging, as well as find out what’s most popular in the Shazam Tag Charts (available on iPad only);
- · An interactive mapping feature, enabling fans to zoom in to any city in the world to discover, buy and share the most popular music people are listening to in that location – starting at the continent level, then drilling down into the country, state/region, city and even to the town level, in some cases;
- · Integrated streaming with Rdio. Tag results enable fans to instantly listen to the song again if they have a subscription to Rdio or sign-up for an Rdio trial subscription;
- · An improved Shazam Friends feature, providing people with one of the best ways to discover new music and media from their friends as well as giving them quick access to preview and comment on their friends’ tags;
- · Lightning-fast tagging, so that people can identify what they’re watching or listening to in as little as one second;
- · Sharing that’s easier than ever, including a streamlined way to tell your friends about your finds via Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and email; and,
- · Automatic resubmission. If people are in a poor network reception area, they no longer have to manually resubmit their tags when they get to a better reception area. Resubmission will happen automatically, and the user will be notified.
“During the last year, we have seen triple-digit growth in the number of downloads of the iPad version of our app,” continued Riley. “iPad offers an ideal way to experience more on the second screen as people watch television (the first screen), giving them more space to engage in additional content. Our new app gives our fans the most efficient way to experience more of the media around them whether they are in their home or anywhere throughout the world.”
The new version of Shazam for iOS is a universal app, so it works across iPad 2 and 3, iPad Mini, iPhone and iPod touch. The new features are available in the Free, Encore and (SHAZAM)RED versions for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch come with unlimited tagging, giving fans more opportunities to engage with music and television content.
The new design and features are expected to launch on Android devices in the coming weeks.